NTUC had a sale on sliced button mushroom... S$2.10 per pack of 200g. And with Edna bugging me to make "her favourite mushroom soup", it was a good opportunity to make the soup.
400g Fresh button mushroom, chopped, but reserve about 50g and set aside.
1 tablespoon Butter
1 tablespoon Flour
1 large Onion, chopped
2 stalks Celery, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
2 cups Fresh Milk
1 Chicken Cube (or Vegetable cube if vegetarian)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat up butter in a pot, and add flour to it when melted. Stir it until you get a yellow ball, then add in the onion, celery and garlic and fry for about 2 minutes.
2. Add in the milk and stir to thicken, then add in the mushroom and let it simmer for a minute.
3. Add in half the water and wait for mushroom to soften - about two minutes.
4. Remove the entire soup and put it into a blender. Or if you have a hand-held blender, that works well too.
5. Return the blended soup into the pot and add in the rest of the water to dilute it to your preference. Add in the reserved chopped mushroom to give the soup more texture.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve with grated cheese as garnish.
The soup's so fast and easy to make that we don't buy instant soup anymore. ;)
"My favourite soup! It's already my second bowl of soup!"